Thursday 22 March 2012

Story of my Pseudonym

About my online name..

I usually go with drake01 as my name on the Internet. Be it forums, irc, if I am there, I would be using drake01 as my handle. Its not my real name, not even close to my real name. It all started while  I was participating in the discussions on open lists of opensource projects. The discussions are generally open and SearchEngines index them too. The moment I realized it, I made a search with email-address I was using earlier in qoutes, and boom! All discussions I was involved in were listed in order. Boom! Now that's what I hate, "People able to trace me". Then I thought what's wrong with it. People should know what great things you are involved in. But the thing is, I don't want my friends and other people who care about me to have these discussions listed when they are searching for me. Or lets say "I don't want anyone to know about me more than what I want them to know."  Anyways, So I created this pseudo-name.

People say Its really easy to trace you if they intend to. I know, it is. But again I only want to avoid those people who would just incidentally hit my email on SearchEngine's search box and learn about all of my activities which they didn't intend to know about at all (that Sucks).
The other category of people who would be able to trace me after doing sort of an intensive search and who won't stumble upon these details accidentally, are of no problem to me. I prefer to call those Lurkers, My Fans.

By the way, About my name:
Why did I choose drake01 as my online identity?
Ans-> Its based on two characters of TV industry. The one is Dr. Drake Remorey played by Joey (played by Mr. Matt Le Blanc in sitcom Friends).Mr. Blanc is the person, I am really happy to watch doing the role of Joey. The other guy is Drake from sitcom Drake&Josh (played by Drake Bell). Drake Bell was one of the guys, I wanted to look like in my adolescent age.

Also I find Drake to be sorta' related to Dragon in Chinese stories. I like dragons. :)

And the last reason is: In my experience, I find Drake to be common name (I don't have anything to support this. As I said, in my experience. I heard it at so many places, that I assume it to be one of the most common names.) The other Lurker might question, lets assume for a moment that indeed Drake is one of the most common names. So what? I prefer to answer it as: You moron, More common is the word, more would it be difficult to find it as first few results of any search.. (Sometimes its great to learn that some desired query is not among the top few results of any search engine). No bold fonts or other idiosyncrasies have been used in this post, just to convey that I just don't want to make it easy for your brain and great eyes to go through the so called important text, leave out all the rest ( Woh, that sounds some song by great band :) )

By the way, that 01 in drake01 also has a small story. When I tell people, that I am known as drake01, I try to hint them that, `its not at all my real name`. (atleast I try to make them suspect that it can't be a real name). Adding number in your name can't be a sane idea, atleast for me! That too a trivial number. Some people find it cool and sane to add some fancy number which they can associate with their names, I am not the one. Its merely to make you suspect, Dear Lurker. Also as I said, according to me, drake is a common name. If you believe in this premise, its not hard to realize that it would be unavailable almost all the time. Its annoying to not have the name you want on the Internet. To the question Why 01 and not 02 or anything else. Some would see it to be obviously because 01 is the first number, but 01 comes from Animatrix (animation series based on The Matrix movie). In second episode they showed the place used by machines to stay after being abandoned by the humans to be called Zero-One. Initially zero-one sounded cool. But then using the name drake-zero-one didn't sound right. So I started calling it, drake-o-one or drakeoone..
A combination of these reasons resulted in the name drake01 or drakeoone being my choice for the Fsckinly insecure Internet world. (Call be paranoid for using word insecure but its a hard Truth. By the way, `Ignorance is Bliss`, so you may keep your stand with you and feel comfortable and secure).

All these things resulted in choosing this identity. I find the second last reason more revelant of all the above reasons, yes I am using wrong spelling for revelant, because I don't want some random guy to just read that `the last one is the one to read` and leave the rest. (sorta' pathetic attempt to deceive the Search Engines because they are getting smart day-by-day). You might be reading only this paragraph, and feeling proud of not reading all the text, and failing me in my attempt, but you see, I don't care. I mention again, I care about the majority who will accidently stumble upon my activities. You don't need a super secure system to work because No such thing exist. You have to settle with the level of security which just works for you. Again, whatever you do, that will not be the most secure system. Only  machine kept locked in a safe, with no internet connection, preferably not having any power supply too,  is close to being a secure one.

If you followed whole page and if you happen to be a keen observer too, you might have noticed that I have used word drake more than needed actually, what do you think? Is it intentional, if yes, what is the logic. I won't go describing crazy rationale behind it...
Good Luck Lurker. Have a Nice day. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment